Wednesday 8 September 2010

teeny little daily pleasures

alright then..
since i ve been very fixated on the whole happiness thing (starting from its definition to attaining it)
i had several stops in my tedious quest:

what always rang with me was a Brigitte Bardot quote "you cannot say 'I am happy!' as a statement like  'I am blonde '!".. so i thought this statement was genius in its simplicity, happiness is not a tangible decisive all encompassing conclusion like a bottle of blonde die with a hint of chestnut.

Happiness is a grand fine lady that demands respect, you cannot lure her in with that new diet, that hot guy, or that new SUV. She likes to come in small doses. A brilliant friend once gave me a very simple test to do whenever I am at my happiest state to see whether this happiness is genuine and everlasting or not, he simply said take away that particular factor that makes you happy (that new diet, that hot guy or that new SUV) and if you are still happy, then congrats you are one of the 1% favored by the grand dame.

That totally unplugged me, because yes I do get happy when suddenly i can slip into a size 27 jeans, or actually eat that perfect risotto. what would i be without the risotto's calories or the skinny jeans? erm.. back to the less happier state..
so on with my quest, and my ever increasing frustration of finding that luring dame, I came across another very successful quote
"Enjoy the little things, there are so many of them"
now you see, this is written by a happy person who probably has a bunch of size 30 jeans. but he/she doesnt care because she (i will effeminate her, happiness IS a dame after all) is always busy focusing on her little things to not care..
So here is the deal:
I am going to torture you my dear readers (if you even exist) with MY own little things:

My little things of the day are:

White cheese and tomato sandwiches at 4 pm: i think the white cheese fairy cast her spell on me, because ever since i learned to chew, this has been my constant request. Now to savour those at 4 pm, when I am supposed to be fasting (sorry God, i did send 4 empty sms's to 9595).






This video: now before you watch it, I want to explain why i am touched by it, because recently i have abandoned all of my wishes for the sake of one: to find happiness from within. Surprise.. huh? however last night i suddenly felt this was as corny as it DOES sound, and too limiting to encompass ALL of my wishes bardo, so i started questioning the direction i am heading to with this.. so this morning Jeneen sent me this...


http://www.ted.com/talks/matthieu_ricard_on_the_habits_of_happiness.html

i know, i am on a corny roller coaster today, i talk about happiness then i talk about happy little things and i end up posting a video of a monk discussing happiness!

oh well, HAPPY eid everyone (anyone actually)

No comments:

Post a Comment