Thursday 2 December 2010

Sita Sings the Blues


Today I thought of sharing an entire movie (yes, below is a link to an entire 80 minute movie!) instead of critiquing movies that aren't 'showtime friendly' and difficult to find.

Below is one of my all time favorite animation flics: "Sita Sings The Blues". It is a film by the incredibly talented, awe inspiring, free culture activist: Nina Paley. A little background about this gem and its maker: Nina had a very painful divorce, so she used all of her anger into giving us this masterpiece inspired by the Ramayana (an ancient Sanskrit epic by Valmiki). Hence, this movie runs on three parallels: 1- it tells Nina's story, 2- it tells one of the Ramayana's stories: that of Sita. 3- which in turn is told through three indian shadow puppets.

The reason I have a soft spot for this film is because of Nina: for starters her talent, you have no idea how difficult it is to make a movie these days, let alone an animation movie, let alone a movie using FOUR styles of animation!! 1- Vector graphic animation (when Sita sings any blues song), 2-traditional animation (for Nina's story), 3-shadow puppets (when the indians narrate) , and 4-animated Rajput paintings (for Sita's story).
The music is truly exceptional, you will notice it from the very first shot, it rekindles my love for blues through the Annette Hanshaw songs used whenever Sita (obviously) sings the blues.
The second reason I am so fond of Nina and this film is the fact that she decided (more so from a premonition in my view) that this movie should be freely accessible to everyone, as I mentioned earlier that Nina is a 'free culture activist'. In the intro credits, she mocks this with opening titles such as: " A 'Funded by you' Production" and "In association with 'Your Money'". Ironically and very sadly so: Nina got sued left right and center from everyone because of this film, people somehow freaked out by the fact that there is an artist out there who wants to make art that is free of charge to everyone. Hindu activists also wanted to entirely demolish this film as they believed it to grossly humiliate the Ramayana.

Is that the case? well you only have to see for yourself to judge..

Enjoy Nina's Sita ...

1 comment:

  1. I lost my job few months back and there was no way to get income for my family, things was so tough and I couldn't get anything for my children, not until a met a recommendation on a page writing how Mr Bernie Wilfred helped a lady in getting a huge amount of profit every 6 working days on trading with his management on the cryptocurrency Market, to be honest I never believe it but I took the risk to take a loan of $1000. and I contacted him unbelievable and I was so happy I earn $12,500 in 6 working days, the most joy is that I can now take care of my family I don't know how to appreciate your good work Mr. Bernie Doran God will continue to bless you for being a life saver I have no way to appreciate you than to tell people about your good services.
For a perfect investment and good strategies contact Mr Bernie Doran via WhatsApp :+1(424)285-0682 or Telegram : @Bernie_doran_fx or Email : Bernie.doranfx01@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete